Recovering Audio from an Erased Forensics Audio Tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovering Audio from an Erased Forensics Audio Tape

If you are confronted with a Forensics Audio Tape which has been erased, there is the possibility of recovering a portion of that signal. This methodology relies on the possibility (probability) that some misalignment exists between the tapes recorded tracks and the erase head alignment. Often the recorder which made the original tape is a different machine than the one that was used to erase the tape, so the likeleyhood of perfect alignment between the erase head and the recorded tracks is limited. And, even if the same machine that made the tape was used to erase it, there is still some chance that there had been a misalignment between the erase head and the recorded tracks. The technique for finding some of the erased audio can be applied to a variety of analog tape types including:

1. Reel-to-Reel
    2. Compact Cassette
    3. Micro Cassette

You must be willing to gain access to the play head of your tape player to attempt recovery, unless you purchase a special machine designed to do this (about $5,000.00 for a JBR Multi-channel Microcassette deck as an example - - - available from Tracer Technologies).

When working with a Forensics tape, erased or otherwise, I always recommend clipping the wires on the erase and record head or disabling the machines bias oscillator circuit. I usually cut the pcb track which supplies Vcc+ to the bias transformer primary center tap connection. On a three head machine, the erase head is the first one along the path of tape travel, the record head is the middle one while the last head towards the end of tape travel is the playback head. With that said, the idea here is to find the portion of the original audio track that was right on the edge of the tolerance of the erasing machines erase head vertical position. By moving the playback head up and down (there are usually three and sometimes four screw adjustments on this playback head which can be turned with a de-magnetized jewelers screwdriver or "twiddle stick").

Scan the tape by moving the playback head position up and down with respect to the erased tape while it is playing and while you are listening to the same. It is a good idea to note the positions of the original playback head position by way of the screw adjuster positions. First, try moving the tape head up a bit and listen carefully for some audio signal content to appear. (Keep note of the number of turns and the direction {CW vs. CCW} that you rotate any given adjuster screw.) You can move it as much as around 1/8th of the total tape width as a general rule of thumb. If that does not reveal any audio, return the screw adjustments to their original positions and then move the head in the opposite direction, while searching for some audio. If you find a position having a bit of audio, you may find that it is very noisey, but that can be dealt with later. Just transfer that audio signal to your computer hard drive so that you can use the Diamond Cut Forensics audio software tools to enhance the signal at a later time.

Repeat that process on both sides of the tape until the entire recoverable signal is captured. When you are done, be sure to return the playback head to its original position. This can be accomplished with the use of an azimuith alignment tape or another method.

If you do not find a signal anywhere during the playback head scan procedure, it could be that the tape was erased via a bulk tape eraser in which case the signal will not be recoverable.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-09-2006, 06:37 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

It's too bad you weren't doing this when Rosemary Woods was working for Nixon... We might have had some very interesting stuff to work with!

Dan
    Dan McDonald

Comment

Yeah, it would be great to have access to those tape originals for about 24 hours!

Comment

Hey all, I'd like to express caution when doing such a procedure, at least with cassette decks. Years ago before I even owned a computer, I had an old cassette collection I was transfering to reel to reel. The cassettes were done on a different deck than I was using to transfer, so to obtain better sound quality I was constantly adjusting the head azimuth (by ear) to "tweak" the treble response. (In less expensive cassette decks, even a slight different positioning of the cassette shell would effect the sound quality) This procedure worked great... until the spring loaded azimuth screw popped out of the metal chassis. I had stripped the threads! I had tweaked it more often than I should have.

There is another alternative with cassette decks. I know many Nackamichi cassette decks have an "Auto Azimuth" ability. Some of them are designed for the record head while others are designed to adjust the playback head (depends on the model). But not owning one, I can't tell you for sure if any of them can be adjusted manually. However, another tape deck company called Tanberg, did make some consumer cassette decks into the 80's (like many of their reel to reels) that had a front panel mounted azimuth control knob! Such a deck would be handy for those needs. One may be able to find a used one on eBay...

Comment

The Nakamichi CR-7A allows you to adjust azmuth manually ($350-$600 on eBay). The top-of-the-line Dragon model does it automatically($700+). Beware, however, both had a problem with their transport mechanisms that was fixed by a recall. If the one on eBay has had the modification, great. If not it will die every year or so -- and no more parts are available.

Comment

Evening Brian,
            Thanks for jumping in! I know the Dragon was offered for quite a few years compared to some of the other models. Do you know of any model suffix number on some of the newer units that might have corrected the transport problem in manufacturing? (I used to have all the info on most of the models - There used to be a web site out there dedicated to Nacamichi decks...)

Comment

Keep in mind that the procedure that I outlined does not involve merely adjusting the tape head azimuth (which is just one of the three screws), but moving the entire playback head up and down. That is much more more than what the Nakamichi deck does automatically. The goal is to completely re-align the playback head at a different location with respect to the tape.

The procedure outlined would typically be performed when the value of the potential tape recorded evidence far exceeds the cost of a replacement tape deck.
              Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-10-2006, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Hey Craig, my mistake - I should have realized it would have been more than azimuth needing realignment. I do remember of a few cassette decks back when (can't think of the manufacturer off hand), that rather than sliding the tape heads into the cassette shell, the tape was pulled out away from the shell to obtain better tape to head contact. Such a machine would make it a lot easier for head alignment changes. Given the limited amount of room within a cassette shell and the size of common cassette deck heads, a person might actually have to carve notches in the cassete shell to otherwise accomidate such alignment changes! (unless one were to purchase a special deck from Tracer)

Comment

Actually I was responding more to the comments about wearing out screw threads from constant azmuth adjustments than the "work-around" for the more expensive modified player. I almost wonder if a FULL track head and the power of the Forensics software might not work almost as well?

Comment

makes me wonder - I had a pretty nice portable JVC stereo cassette in the late 1970s - I recorded something on it at the time, then accidentally recorded over it using some kind of sound over sound or something. I don't have the machine any longer, and I'm not sure how it did it, but there was the original material and the material that was recorded over; both played back on any cassette player I tried it on. Any idea if the original material is recoverable without the 'voice-over' of the second recording?
                    Dan McDonald

Comment

I am not sure, but maybe if you can find a section of the tape that has only the voice over and sample on that and use something like the DSS (Dynamic Spectral Subtraction) or the CNF Spectral Subtractor, you may be able to improve the situation somewhat.

On the subject of using a tape deck with a full track head, that would pick up signals in both directions, not being able to discriminate between them.
                      Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-12-2006, 05:25 PM.

Comment

One other possibility. The Nagra recorders (Model 4.2 - the mono cinema model) had adjustable heads. While the admuth of the playback and record heads could be easily adjusted with a special star shaped hex tool, the neopilotone head was adjustable up and down. If one were to swap head positions and realign you could have a very easily and precisely vertically displaceable playback head. You wouldn't be able to use the neopilotone head for playback (nor would you want to) but the mounts for all the heads are the same. A 4.2 can be bought on eBay these days for $500-700 depending on condition. Just a thought.

Comment

Good suggestion if you are dealing with 1/4 inch reel to reel tapes, the Nagra 4.2 would be an excellent way to go. And the modification would be easily accomplished.

Comment

Working...
                          X